Technical Tips for Drycleaners
Sanitone SIZZLES with Heated Solvent
Heated Hydrocarbon Solvent
In the last few years, Fabritec International has been actively involved in researching the effect of cleaning garments in heated hydrocarbon solvent. Specifically, cleaning garments in hydrocarbon solvent 30°F below the solvent’s flash point. Today’s hydrocarbon solvents, including synthetic hydrocarbons, have lower solvency power than petroleum solvents used in the past due to the removal of aromatic hydrocarbon solvent compounds based on benzene. These have been virtually eliminated from todays’ hydrocarbon solvents. These aromatics have almost twice the KB value of the aliphatic hydrocarbons employed today. You can still achieve excellent results with room temperature hydrocarbon, however, it is known that heating a solvent will increase its solvency power. Increased solvency power can reduce cleaning times, thus, increasing efficiency and lowering costs.
Based on experimental cleaning performance tests and empirical data, the following outstanding benefits of hydrocarbon heated solvent cleaning are:
- Reduced cleaning times (18 minute wash time for 2 bath process vs. 20-25 minutes for conventional hydrocarbon processes.)
- Increased water soluble stain removal with Fabritec cationic detergents.
- Dramatically improved stain removal of grease and oil based stains.
- More efficient distillation due to warm solvent going to the still.
- Increased production due to shorter cleaning cycles and the ability to process many garments now being wet cleaned.
- Easier to finish garments due to fewer wrinkles.
- Consistent cleaning during cooler months.
- Brighter whites and vivid colors, no odor and improved solvent mileage.
- Fewer post spotting stains.
The top drycleaning machinery producers are now offering this option along with enhanced features for Sanitone Licensees.
Today, there are a number of Sanitone Licensees employing heated hydrocarbon cleaning. Detergents they are using are: Sanitone Encore 8905, Performance 8916, and GreenEarth® Detergent 8870. For a referral please call Fabritec at 800-543-0406.
Sanitone Licensees can access over 50 additional technical/news slants by logging on to our Exclusive Area for Sanitone Licensees.